The operating system performs the following functions:-
- Allocating resources and schedules - Locate and schedule use of CPU time, memory and I/O to different processes.
- Memory management - Partion memory for use by different programs.
- Backing-store management - Maintaining a directory of files so that any file can be quickly located when required.
- Input/Output (I/O) control - Communicating withe the various periphals connected to the computer.
- Interrupt handing - Internal and external interrupts.
- Operator interface - Accepts commands from the user and reponses to them.
- Utilities - Program for file mamagement, editing files, reorganising disk space, making backup, virus protection etc.